If you want to boil digital marketing down to a single starting point, KEYWORDS are IT! Managing your keywords such an important element of a digital marketing strategy that we felt we need to keep telling you about them.
A keyword is a works or phrase that a person uses to gather information on a topic online. For example keywords that we care about for our website are ‘digital marketing’ ‘social media’ ‘Sligo’ ‘Donegal’ ‘email marketing’ etc.
Keywords are your best friend in attracting traffic to your website. Period.
Top 5 Tips for your Keyword Strategy
- Create a list of 3-5 keywords relevant to your business
- Design and optimize your website around your keywords. Include mentions of them in key places. Images you use, especially on your homepage should include alt test that reflects your keyword strategy.
- Use tools such as Google Keyword Tool to choose your keywords
- Optimise your website AND social media profiles around keywords relevant to your business
- Choose keywords based on difficulty and relevance; general words are very competitive making it difficult to rank for them. If you are a running off a small budget, you should choose less competitive keywords more specifically related to your business.
Comprehensive keyword research will help save you money by improved organic search results and saving on Google adword campaigns. Just do it!